On Saturday, October 3, another African Adventure began. Five Senior Sister Missionaries (Sisters Bevan, Bingham, Brown, Peterson, and Stubbs) planned an excursion to the Cedi Bead Factory. Now, because that is the extent of my knowledge of where we were going, I'm going to quote from the written tourist info. "The Cedi Bead Factory in Odumase Krobo before Samanya (left at Kpong). You will be treated to a step-by-step tour on how glass beads are produced. (no charge) A gift shop is on the premises where you can buy beads. Also the town has a bead market open on Wednesdays and Saturdays."
We left home at 8:30 am so that we could be home for our 4 pm session of General Conference (your 10 am session) The trip takes about 1.5 hours. Sister Bingham was the brave driver and wwe arrived with no problems. I was the only one with a camera and there are a few pictures I took but they didn't take -- as only a novice photographer knows. I hope you can get the picture through. The process of bead making is like all things in Africa -- very labor and time intensive. We came away with a greater appreciation for the strings of beads that adorn the necks and wrists of the jewelry lovers. In the gift shop I purchased a bowl made from termite hill mud. It's the same medium they use for their kilns. Anyway, dumb as it sounds, I bought one because it looked like a cow's udder. Another plus was that it fit in a curio Rex bought in Kumasi that needed a bowl to hold.
After leaving the bead factory we stopped at the bead market -- it was high noon and HOT. We looked quickly, kept to the shade of the shops, and marveled at the sights and smells of inner Africa. At the market there was a fabric shop that we looked through, but at that point (hot and tired), my shopping desire (or lack thereof) sent me hustling back to the air conditioned car with the other Sisters not far behind.
We arrived home after one other stop but it's been a whole week and I can't remember where it was only that it was by the little green oil advertisement sign. It is important to notice the landmarks to know how to find things and it's an observation talent I'm going to have to work on. The stop was at a bead shop where some of the sisters bought necklace and earring sets and ornaments. We arrived home in plenty of time to attend the first conference session in the Area Office building. The other sessions we watched on our computer at home. We were able to connect through KSL.com and enjoyed the inspirational messages from our leaders and prophet. On Sunday morning we attended fast and testimony meeting in the Jamestown Branch. Conference didn't start here until 4 pm, so for the Africans Saints it was Sunday as usual. Most of the natives don't see Conference until it comes out on DVD.
The Bead Factory excursion was one the Elders weren't particularly interested in but it was a great day with just the girls.
Kilns made from termite mud with men putting molds in the fire
Molds with blue glass pieces ready for the kiln
Man cleaning beads after they are taken out of their molds. He throws sand on them and rolls them around in a rock bowl, then washes them with water.
young girl helping her mother string beads
On the way home I took a picture of this school bus because I thought that it was cool.
the bowl I bought at the bead factory sitting on the curio Rex bought in Kumasi



3 comments:
So the post may say that it is by me, but I promise that it was all mom (I just had to help out a little, and so it got stuck in my name)
Anyways
MOM I think that the beads are great! I'm sure that all my crafty sister/sister-in-law would have been in heaven at that bead market. It looks like there were a lot of different types of beads to choose from. However did you decide which ones you wanted?
Some beads are fired clay and others are glass. The process was fascinating and as you can see, very labor intensive.
The bracelet shown in the 2 bottom photos is one that new visitors to the bead factory got free. The dotted bead in the bracelet is clay, the other one is glass. There were beautiful beads but they also have a history. I didn't buy much until I know more and also want to match necklaces with dresses I will have made. Thanks Kassie for putting it together--
Loved the post! How interesting and fun... minus the heat.
Actually, I could go for some warmth right about now, it's been getting pretty chilly!
Thanks for the update, we love "tagging" along on your adventures through your blog!
Post a Comment