Tuesday, September 22, 2009
COMMENTARY OF OUR TRIP TO KUMASI
On September 14, 2009 we left on a 3 day trip to the Kumasi area of Ghana. Kumasi is the second largest city in Ghana. It is 260 kilometers (multiply by .6 to get miles) northwest of Accra. It took us 6 hours to get there. The reason it took so long is that the road is long. HA, really it is because the road is bad, we made several stops, and because there is a lot of traffic. We went to look at and get acquainted with projects that the Church is helping with in the area. The projects are water wells and latrines for schools and for communities. The country is up hill all the way from the coastal city of Accra, but only foothills compared to our mountains in the West. The country is nice and green and looks like a forest but with different kinds of trees. We learned from our very informed guide and driver of the Toyota pickup truck we were in, that the area is farming country and all the vegetation or trees are plantations owned and operated by someone. People live in these areas and come to the roadside to sell their produce. They also use the road to walk along to get from farm to town or some other place, but there are people walking along the road constantly, though not as thick as in the villages of which there are also many. The farms grow plantain (a banana-type plant), cocoa, palm trees for palm oil, and teak trees for hardwood furniture and power poles, and many other fruits and vegetables. Clarence Kofi, our guide and church employee, makes this trip about every week. He took us to nice and safe places to eat and we stayed in a very nice hotel and ate there also. Only thing is, Ghanaian beds are so hard I thought I was sleeping on the ground up hunting with the boys. I'm going to post some pictures so you can see what I'm talking about.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
Cant wait for the photos! Sounds like an adventure!
Yay!!! I am so proud of you for starting a blog. See, it's not so bad. I have loved reading about your adventures in Africa. Keep up the good work. Oh...and I'll have to think about some of those girl names your suggested!
Post a Comment